incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [USER EXPERIENCE] Double clicking file name of minimized document
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 17:27:39 GMT
I suspect that silently ignoring the open on an already-open document is likely a bug and a
Bugzilla issue on that is called for.

With regard to what should be done beyond pointing out that the document appears to be opened
already, I have no further comment.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Hans Zybura [mailto:hzybura@zybura.com]
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2012 09:05
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: [USER EXPERIENCE] Double clicking file name of minimized document

Hi Dennis,

thank you for advising me on how to use Windows - but I know that. :-)

I'm a member of the ooo-dev list, so please don't CC my email address.

What I propose means, I just want to be able to work with OpenOffice Writer the same way I'm
used to with Microsoft Word. In many ways, Microsoft Office is still way ahead with regard
to usability.

Real world scenario:

Suppose I have several Writer documents open, some minimized, some hidden behind others. Now
I receive a phone call, have a long conversation, and then get back to work on one of those
documents hidden from direct view. Because my file manager (e.g. Windows Explorer) is always
open and because I don't remember exactly which of the documents I have to work on are already
open, I double click the file name in Explorer. Nothing happens. Mmmh, what? (I'm still thinking
about the phone call, not really concentrating). I double click again. Nothing happens. Huh?
Repeat double clicking, absent-minded. Eventually:  Oh, wait, the document seems to be already
open. (-> Task bar etc.)

[ ... ]