incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Performance!
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 16:23:19 GMT
All right, this seems like a good place to splice in a comment I made in the private thread
that it is time to be careful and not get into exaggerated claims, especially when a variation
is not consistently present to all users in all situations.

Unsubstantiated subjective experiences are not trustworthy.  It is also very difficult to
control the variations that exist from one setting and execution to another.

So let's stop making so much of this.

 - Dennis

A LESSON ON PERFORMANCE-CLAIM HUMILITY:

I just stubbed my toe on a performance situation where there is a serious worse-than-linear
degradation in performance as a particular kind of ODF Text document grows.  Using a hot machine,
I only noticed the pain when opening the document extended into an intolerable number of minutes
as I continued work on successive drafts.  On my slower laptop, where I repeated the test
for comparison purpose, the document now takes over an hour to open.  This is on OO.o 3.3.0,
AOO 3.4.0, and a variety of LibreOffice releases.

Yes there are differences among the different releases, and they are rather consistent when
the time is so long, but the fastest (OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 in my crude tests) is still swamped
by whatever the serious performance degradation is and it is common to all releases tested.

This is not the kind of problem that can be isolated into a small test case for reproducibility,
so the forensic work to demonstrate it and capture data points is really tedious.  Ordinary
users probably think that their software has hung or is not even starting when it is just
that there is something that is taking a very long time as part of loading the document (but
neither disk nor network, something in the logic that pegs the CPU for minutes when not hours).

Bug reports will follow shortly.