incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject [OT] Blog Engines/comments (was RE: Fwd: Performance!)
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 15:56:47 GMT
I sympathize with the use of a flat-file system for posting articles.  Hey, no XSS defects,
no query support, no problems with bugs in an intermediary publishing system that corrupts
the blog archives, no time spent figuring out how to prevent spam comments, etc.

I started with a blog engine when I started blogging in 2002, but I stick with ones that publish
flat files on a server space of mine that I can preserve and keep on-line even if the engine
becomes obsolete and I have to do something else.

I may have to change engines again since it takes too much to be my own IT and administrator
for the one I am still migrating to since Blogger stopped supporting static FTP posting to
an user's own domain.

Have you considered DISQUS, since it will work on your pages but it is an external service?
 I've never quite got the habit, but it might suit you.  Or agree on a de.licio.us tag that
applies to your blog, so folks could comment there and find them.  (Have you got a twitter
ID too?  I don't recall if I've seen you that way.)

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Meeks [mailto:michael.meeks@suse.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 05:16
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Performance!

[ ... ]

	Uninteresting as it is - I've been blogging since 1999 and happen to do
it in emacs, in a plain text format; and I host it as flat files: that's
a habit I have no interest in breaking for some hideous, newfangled
databased backed, hosted service etc. :-) But I like feedback, and
update entries with it as/when people send it in, my blog page footer
reads:

	"I encourage linking back (of course) to help people decide for
	 themselves, in context, in the battle for ideas, and I love
	 fixes / improvements / corrections by private mail."

	Back in the day, people used to discuss and cross link their blogs, and
use E-mail - perhaps I'm stuck in that past. As I say, I hear a lot of
"FUD allegations" coming from various people - yet seldom any sort of
reasoned or detailed rebuttal. I would expect such a thing to happen in
a blog entry elsewhere that I can link to in an interesting, civil
discussion, as we go deeper on any given topic over time.

[ ... ]