incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [USER EXPERIENCE] Double clicking file name of minimized document
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 16:07:14 GMT
Um, on Windows, the easy (and only recommended) way to restore is to single-click the file
on the task bar.  Or you can use Alt-Tab and other techniques to cycle through the open documents
and restore the one you want by selecting it among those displayed.  (In some applications,
you can get to any document instance, minimized or not, via a "Window" menu option, but it
means you need the some application window restored to get the menu.)

I imagine that double-clicking on the file name in the documents directory location (understood
to be a request to open/launch the resource) runs into the lock on the already-open file and,
since the lock is from a running instance, it simply ignores the second open attempt.  This
appears to be application-specific behavior and is probably an expedient solution that doesn't
require separating out edge cases (file being open and locked in a different application than
the one associated with the file name, for example).  I suggest that the current behavior
is preferable to a typical default behavior when an already-locked document is encountered
(for some apps: offer to open read-only, over-ride the lock, or cancel).  I suppose another
option would be to drop the current instance and open the document anew.

You are welcome to make a feature request in the Bugzilla.  Please be specific about which
operating systems you want the behavior on, because I don't think what you are asking for
is "usual" for Windows.  I have seen the Microsoft Office behavior you describe.  It takes
great care to get it right.  I suspect the behavior was added to protect users from opening
two instances on the same document and/or not simply report that the document is already open
in some/the application.

 - Dennis