incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Hans Zybura" <hzyb...@zybura.com>
Subject RE: [USER EXPERIENCE] Double clicking file name of minimized document
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 16:04:40 GMT
Hi Dennis,

thank you for advising me on how to use Windows - but I know that. :-)

I'm a member of the ooo-dev list, so please don't CC my email address.

What I propose means, I just want to be able to work with OpenOffice Writer the same way I'm
used to with Microsoft Word. In many ways, Microsoft Office is still way ahead with regard
to usability.

Real world scenario:

Suppose I have several Writer documents open, some minimized, some hidden behind others. Now
I receive a phone call, have a long conversation, and then get back to work on one of those
documents hidden from direct view. Because my file manager (e.g. Windows Explorer) is always
open and because I don't remember exactly which of the documents I have to work on are already
open, I double click the file name in Explorer. Nothing happens. Mmmh, what? (I'm still thinking
about the phone call, not really concentrating). I double click again. Nothing happens. Huh?
Repeat double clicking, absent-minded. Eventually:  Oh, wait, the document seems to be already
open. (-> Task bar etc.)

With Microsoft Word, I would have been back to work on my document immediately, without even
thinking twice. It's those small things, that make a difference. That is what user experience
is about, don't you think?

>  Please be
> specific about which operating systems you want the behavior on, because I
> don't think what you are asking for is "usual" for Windows.  I have seen the
> Microsoft Office behavior you describe.

All systems, of course. Usability is not OS specific.

>  It takes great care to get it right.

Programming is always like that, isn't it?

> I suspect the [Microsoft Office, H.Z.] behavior was added to protect users from opening
two instances
> on the same document and/or not simply report that the document is
> already open in some/the application.

Exactly. Problem is, OpenOffice does simply nothing, not even report that the document is
already open - which in itself wouldn't be very useful, right? Quite to the contrary. When
OpenOffice would only tell me that the document is already open, instead of doing what I propose,
I would laughingly or angrily ask: What were the programmers thinking?

Regards, Hans Zybura