incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: how dare youy!!!!!
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 02:12:01 GMT
Did you install Apache OpenOffice on your laptop?  Did someone upgrade software on your laptop
when you were away?

It may be that what changed was the file association.  It should *not* have happened automatically.

Apache OpenOffice does not remove Microsoft Office software.  Apache OpenOffice does not install
on anyone's computer without user action.  It is not possible for Apache OpenOffice to have
been installed on your laptop without someone in possession of your laptop doing so.

There is an option to have Apache OpenOffice open automatically for Microsoft Office files,
but someone has to select that option.

All of your Microsoft Office programs should still be there.  You should be able to confirm
that by looking for Microsoft Office in your Start menu, All Programs list.

If the file associations where changed by mistake, there is an easy way to restore them to
Microsoft Office.

Please let us know what version of Microsoft Windows you are operating and the Model of Laptop
PC you are using.

Once I know that, I can show you how to set Windows so that Microsoft Word again opens for
.doc files, etc.

 - Dennis

PS: You also might consider whether or not you have been the victim of a prank.