incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Hans Zybura" <hzyb...@zybura.com>
Subject [USER EXPERIENCE] Double clicking file name of minimized document
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 12:44:25 GMT
Currently with AOO 3.4, double-clicking a file name of an open document that
has its document window minimized or in the background does not change the
state of the document window at all. The only result on Windows is the mouse
pointer changing to hourglass for a short time - nothing else happens. The
same is true with earlier Versions of OOo. This is inconvenient and unusual
behavior.

I didn't test this with AOO 3.4 on MacOs and Linux, but earlier Versions of
OOo showed similar results when double clicking file names of minimized
document windows on both OS's,  i.e. nothing happened at all.

Propose (target AOO 3.5): Double-clicking a [file name of | icon of | link
to] a minimized document should result in restoring the document window to
its previous size and position, make it the topmost window and give it the
focus. If not minimized but in the background, make it the topmost window
and give it the focus.

Most applications on Windows (AFAIK on MacOS and Linux, too) handle it the
way I propose. Some applications, e.g. Microsoft Excel, will additionally
ask whether they should re-open the document and warn that unsaved changes
may be lost then. I don't think the Excel way is better.

Any comments on this before I write an issue in bugzilla?

Regards, Hans Zybura