incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 20:37:44 GMT
It seems to me that the volunteers can do what those volunteers wish to do.  As long as there
is no contribution to materials and code under the custody of the project, it doesn't matter.

So is something else wanted, such as identification with Apache OpenOffice?  Some sort of
"official" designation?  Then it is difficult to avoid the need to fit into the governance
and oversight requirements of ASF and AOO.  Perhaps an "Apache OpenOffice Partner" or "Supporter"
or "Affiliate" arrangement might be easier.  Probably not.

For those cases involving sites and materials that are under ASF custody, ASF governance must
be considered.  To "have the keys" to administration and the code base, it is necessary to
submit bugs and patches and establish a pattern of contribution first.  And for those who
are so privileged, it seems to me that the English working language requirement is part of
the accountability.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Paulo de Souza Lima [mailto:paulo.s.lima@varekai.org]
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2012 12:37
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams

[ ... ]
> What do the volunteers want to do?
[ ... ]

They can help in spreading AOO, writing articles, helping user support,
lectures, making AOO present in events (soon there will be FISL, and other
large events). All of those things have to be made in Brazil and in
Portuguese. I thought the example we showed yesterday from that guy who
will install AOO in tens of thousands machines for a govenment digital
inclusion project should be enough.

Most of brazilian volunteers have no programming skills, but there are many
other ways they can help. Including some existing ones like UX, wiki, bug
hunting, and so on. Just one example: Miss Fatima Conti is a teacher at
ParĂ¡ Federal University. She is a respectable figure in Brazilian Open
Source environment. She's more than 70 years old, she's not a programmer,
but many many users read her blog. She used to write articles for our old
BrOffice.org Magazine, but now she's helping to test AOO within her
possibilities. She can do a lot more for AOO, in terms of marketing. But
wait! We have no "marketing" yet. And she doesn't want to join a English
mailing list because she has difficulties with this language. There are a
lot of other examples. Most of people who wish to help are phisicians,
administrators (I am an administrator with some technical skills), lawyers,
teachers, account managers, and so on.

[ ... ]