incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 20:00:38 GMT
Rob has provided clear answers to many of the questions raised.  I want to address the choice
and use of languages.

I have been on the Apache OpenOffice project since it was proposed to the Apache Software
Foundation (ASF) at the beginning of June, 2011.  I am not a Member or officer of the ASF.
 I do not speak for the ASF nor for the Apache OpenOffice project.  These are my personal
understandings:

 1. THE WORKING LANGUAGE OF THE APACHE OPENOFFICE PROJECT MUST BE ENGLISH
    The operation of ASF as a public-interest foundation makes use of English essential.
A single working language is needed for governance, project accountability, and public oversight
of activities.  It is critical for assurance of the integrity of releases, of other deliverables,
and operation of infrastructure and support services under the ASF.
    Having a sustainable community -- following the Apache Way -- requires a shared language.
    Having all deliberations be public and visible in one place leads to "if it didn't happen
on the [ooo-dev] list, it didn't happen."
    It is challenging to operate this way.  The principles are important.

 2. THERE ARE ACCOMODATIONS AVAILABLE FOR WORKING IN NATIONAL LANGUAGES
    Have multi-lingual, English-comfortable experts provide oversight and accountability to
the Apache OpenOffice (AOO) project.  Create governance arrangements that satisfy ASF and
AOO requirements.  The arrangement for governance of the OpenOffice Community Forums is an
example.  This requires diligent oversight.  Oversight is not management nor is it direct
supervision.  It does require active attention.

 3. IT IS ALWAYS POSSIBLE TO OPERATE DOWNSTREAM AND CONTRIBUTE UPSTREAM
    At Apache, forking is a feature.  So is creation of downstream support and deliverables.
 Being autonomous requires clean separation: the trademarks and licenses of the ASF must be
honored.
    Ideally, anything that would improve the common code base and shared materials would be
contributed back to the origin project using (1) or (2).
    To claim operation is part of Apache OpenOffice, the work must be under (1) or, at the
least, (2).

It can all be worked out by discussion toward a mutual agreement.

 - Dennis

PS: I understand that my being a native speaker of English is to my advantage in this situation.
 It is not in my power to change that.  It is in my power to make every effort to support
the participation of non-native English speakers. I believe that strong multinational and
multicultural participation in Apache OpenOffice is critical.  It is possible within the constraints
that must be honored.  That takes commitment and effort from all of us.