incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: After AOO 3.4?
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:55:13 GMT
On 30.04.2012 14:35, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:55 AM, Juergen Schmidt
> <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>  wrote:
[..]
>> I don't think so, I would do it exactly in the other direction. Fixes for critical
issues or issues that are assigned for a 3.4.1 should be fixed on the related stable branch
and also merged into trunk.

> I thought Armin ran into some performance-related issues with merging.
>   Do we know what direction that was, and what we need to do to avoid
> this problem in the future?

It happened due to having a branch for aw080 before quite some header
changes and file attribute changes were made, plus some exchange and
movement of binary blobs. This should not happen with working branches
in the future as long as the changes to the source will not get extreme
(as in this case). Anyways, there are two distinct branch usages here:

(1) What I called 'work branch': Something branched from trunk, but with
the medium or long time goal to reintegrate to trunk. This makes
resyncing with trunk necessary; thus may be expensive with big changes
on trunk

(2) Release branches: These are here to 'freeze' a release and to
continue development of a bugfixed version (no features) .e.g. a 3.4.1
from a 3.4. These are from the principle not intended to be merged back
to trunk ever, thus no danger to run in performance issues here.

> -Rob
>

>> But we can discuss if we want code reviews for fixes going into the stable branch
before they are committed.

>> Juergen
>>

>>> Pedro.

Sincerely,