incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joost Andrae <Joost.And...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Live testing of SF download mirrors
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 20:09:59 GMT
Hi Mark,

thank you for bringing up some details about sf.net's infrastructure. It
is indeed very interesting. On the other hand I'm still a friend of
including the reliable bandwidth provided by the OOo mirrors as they
still provide additional entry points for downloaders worldwide.
MirrorBrain's main advantage over Bouncer from the OpenSource Lab at the
University of Oregon (OSUOSL) [which is still a great mirror] was the
GeoIP capability of MirrorBrain where people from countries having just
a low bandwith were able to reduce the overall bandwith because IP
packet requests were redirected to a local mirror. In some countries
people still use a modem to download OOo and this may need some days to
download just one release...

> Thanks for bringing up some good technical questions. I definitely
> respect what MirrorBrain has done for the OO project, and think we
> should all work together to best serve the AOO users.

Kind regards, Joost