incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Hannu Puhakka <ha...@vetokonsultit.fi>
Subject Maybe stupid questions and summary of my comments (fwd)
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2012 09:29:35 GMT
Hi OpenOffice developers

I joined this list a day ago. I am not familiar with your groups and not sure
if I am on the right list at all. Maybe someone can comment.

I am using oof OOO330m20 (Build: 9567). I have heard rumors that there are
several OpenOffice projects - no idea what they might be and what to use - that
my version is "created by Oracle".

I am running a small software company in Finland and used normally MsOffice for
presentations, sheets and documents. Because of HW crash I now started to
manage by OpenOffice. Then I have got some problems and ideas to improve
OpenOffice. I suppose I myself do not have resources for programming
OpenOffice.

Where should I send my comments?
Where is the database to check if my comments have already been handled?
What version I should use to be useful with my comments?
How should I title my comments?

Some of my comments:
1) bug: / Impress: I insert a new slide. I click a text element and change the
text size from default 32 to 22 (rigth click on the frame and choose Character
size 22). If I move the mouse on the first text row to start writing, but do
not write even a letter and THEN I select the frame, font size will be changed
again 32 although the character size shows 22. I have to change the size to
maybe 15 and back to 22 to be able to continue.

2)improvement / Impress /Writer: Changing of picture size by mouse is very
annoying. If you have inserted a picture from file into your presentation or
document, you in 96 % of the cases need to modify the size - smaller or bigger.
And 99% of those cases you expect that the picture should keep the original
shape - it meens to  "Keep ratio"!!!
But now in Open Office when you resize the image, it never keeps the ratio -
even if the "Keep ratio" checkbox is checked. I suppose this feature has been
five years. If I do not work properly, still the feature should be changed
because nobody cannot understand. See the attachments
"keep_ratio.jpg","resize.jpg".

3) bug: / Impress: "Text" area. Many times when I try to insert a new line on
my list pressing "Enter", the application do not add a new line, instead tries
to continue writing the same line and the letters appear at the same character
at the end of the line. I can fix it by selection another text area and after
that coming back. The problems appears many times a day, not for every text
area. See the attachment "open_office_text_area.jpg".

4) development proposal: Every open office program should have on the Help menu
two selections: "Send a bug report", "Send a development proposal" which should
order a link where you could send your comments with automatic information of
the version you used.

Regards
Hannu
Hannu Puhakka, +358 40 59 68 159, hannu.puhakka@vetokonsultit.fi
Vetokonsultit Oy,+358 9 2747 400, Kultasepänkatu 4 B, 04250 KERAVA,FINLAND