incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Draft blog post: Avoiding OpenOffice Download Scams
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:52:45 GMT
Hi
On 2012-04-30, at 15:17 , Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> Am 04/30/2012 08:57 PM, schrieb sebb:

>>> Yes.

>>> It is a hyperlink so in most cases it will just launch their email.
>>
>> Sorry, was not clear - I meant that they might have difficulty
>> de-mangling the anti-spam measure.
>>
>> Maybe it would be better to direct them to a web-page that can give
>> more information on reporting such problems.
>> That page could be updated as necessary (e.g. when the e-mail address
>> changes on graduation).
>
> The German community of the old OOo project has written something very similar:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/de/abgezockt/
>
> It's to inform users that OOo is free of change, they shouldn't pay anything for it,
where to download the original software, etc.

> Of course it's currently only in German ;-( but maybe it makes sense to translate it
into English and to go on with using it.

Actually the list associated with it worked fine, and I was also a recipient of it and after
a while, an admin. Further, we also had other pages that served similar functions in English,
though the German communities site was really the best. A simple email alias (or ideally wiki
that is linked via Jscript or the like to a list) also works well. What we did in the months
prior to transfer was collect urls of miscreants and then, when possible, proceed against
them and defend the innocent. :-)

Cheers
Louis