incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 200x67pxRe: [WWW] New AOO logo source files now available in the Wiki...
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2012 03:27:56 GMT
Hey all,

Think of vector as elastic bands, think of raster as ceramic tiles.

You can resize vector to any size, then render as raster.

Once rendered to raster, the file can be resized.

However, when scaling a raster image larger, the image will blur as the system interpolates
the space between the known pixel colours and inserts the average colour. Enlarging a raster
image only blurs an image and does not yeild professional results. This is not common practice.

Reducing the size of an image actually works great. You can easily remove pixels. This common
practice. Some tweaking is often required to clean up the reduced image on really small resized
images, such as icons.

In support of the immediate requirements, consider the following:

- recreating the existing logo and logotype in vector does take some time
- maintaining a vector source file allows us to render a clear, crisp logo of any size on
demand
- as a stop gap, consider recreating the logo and logotype in raster at a very large size,
then we can resize smaller, on demand, to required sizes

Moving forward, I feel that
- AOO 4.0 presents a great opportunity to rebrand once the project migration has settled
- we should limit 3.4 recreation effort and focus more on 4.0 opportunity
- simply deliver base graphic requirements to 3.4.

Regards,
Kevin