incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Juergen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS]Alternative for Report Builder?
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 05:14:26 GMT
On Wednesday, 4. April 2012 at 01:08, drew wrote:
> [...]
it

> > > Why Oracle did not donate this OXT (and other like PDF Import)?
> > > ASF could not contact them to talk about?
> > >

> > The code is under the software grant. The issue here is that these
> > extensions rely on GPL libraries, though all related code is now under
> > ALv2:
> >
> > * The MYSQL Connector:
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/mysqlc/
> >
> > * The Report Builder:
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/reportbuilder/
> > (extension code)
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/reportdesign/
> > (office code)
> >
> > * PDF Import:
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/sdext/source/pdfimport/
> >
> > That is, someone has to build them (and maintain them) as external
> > projects.
> >

> ah - the rub...a mere staffing issue
>
> Alright just out of curiosity
> - in the past the main project bug tracker was used for these extensions
> - and indeed all three where primary vendor staff supported
> -- but you are saying that as of now these are not supported, which is
> to say, or are you, that if someone opens an issue now the honest
> response is 'not our bug'?

Yes, the normal bug tracker was used for this because they were part of the project. Completely
independent of the fact that mainly Oracle people worked on it ;-)

> or in other words, unless someone specifically takes over maintenance
> now it doesn't matter what you call it, there is no reason to expect a
> fix.

No not really. The problem are the dependent libs as already pointed out. There is no or no
easy replacement for this external stuff that is license compatible. Not nice and we would
love to have alternatives ...
If volunteers will provide an alternative implementation that would be Apache compatible then
we will continue the support and include it as bundled extensions.

It's the same as for the WordPerfect filter but this filter is probably less important and
fewer people will miss it.

> bummer!
>
> Though I suppose at least at one level you are saying this: that no
> matter whether someone takes over maintenance or not, official releases
> of AOO will not be tied to these extensions, they are officially
> external to the primary release. Is that the bottom line here?

more or less until we find alternative external libs that can be used or they become reimplemented.

That's the reality for now. But on the other hand they are special and most users don't need
them. They fit perfect in the category extension and it could be a good opportunity for an
ISV to provide them (for free as well of course) but offer support and service for them. Hint,
Hint!! Think about a broader eco system around AOO...

Juergen