incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2012 14:51:44 GMT
On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> OK, I have a question on this one. MUST we download and build or can we vote
> on an already built (binary) version? There was some discussion about this,
> and, yes, there are notes about this on general information for Apache
> releases, but...I jsut noticed the vote from Hagar Delest which implies he
> used a binary so this is why I ask.

You are not required to build the AOO RC in order to vote.   Remember,
participating in the review and approval of releases is one of the
most basic responsibilities of *all* PMC members.   We have selected
PMC members with a wide range of relevant skills, not all of them are
coders.  So not everyone is expected to build.  But I would expect
that everyone who votes will find something that they can do to help
verify the RC.   For example, installing, verifying a translation,
reviewing the LICENSE and NOTICE file, reviewing the RAT scan output,
etc.

Remember, unlike a much smaller project at Apache, we cannot assume
that there is even a single person who understands all aspects of the
product.  Not even one.  Those who can build on Windows might not be
the same ones who can verify the Gallacian translation, and those who
understand the details of the LICENSE requirements might not have
access to a 64-bit Linux machine to test that install.  So we need to
rely on others.

So, a +1 to me means three things:

1) I have verified what I can verify and it looks acceptable for a release.

2) No one else has reported a credible, substantial issue with the RC.

3) I believe that there has been sufficient overall review of the RC.

So obviously my vote can change based on what others find and report
about the RC.  In particular I plan to test a few install scenarios
and if they work out, I'll vote +1 later today.  But if someone later
finds a serious issue, then I could change my vote.

-Rob