incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] new DL test...needs review and comments, and probably correction
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2012 20:46:45 GMT
On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> Kay Schenk wrote:
>>
>> Please take a look at and give feedback on a test page for the new
>> /download/index.html page at:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html
>> Yes, it's a bit strange with lots of nonsense at the top that I wanted
>> you to see, but will of course go away in production.
>

> The page is nice, but it's the concept that leaves me dubious.
>
> We have another thread
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel/16219
> where there seems to be consensus towards a solution that:
> 1) Uses SF (and possibly Apache) for the web-based downloads
> 2) Does not phase out MirrorBrain, and uses it for the updates (i.e.,
> downloads initiated by OpenOffice with the "Look for updates" function)

That's what I understand as well.

> The "possibly Apache" in 1) is due to the fact that I haven't understood yet
> what technology Apache will be using and if Apache will distribute only
> sources or binaries too (it's obvious that we as a project will release
> sources and binaries, but I'm not 100% sure that Apache wants to put
> binaries on its mirrors too: I think so).
>
> Fact is, we should avoid the random selection as much as possible, mainly to
> be able to quickly identify problems, and you will see details in that
> thread. The cleaner separation we can get, the better.

So how about something very simple:

1) AOO 3.4 downloads use SourceForge by default from the
/download/index.html page.  Just like they are doing today.

But we also have a links there that point to Apache mirrors for:

a) Hashes and detached signatures
b) source distribution
c) a link to the full release tree

In other words, no rolling the dice, noting fancy.  100% of normal
users will download from SF.

2) When we enable the automated updates, in a week or two, then we
decide what we want to do.  Maybe we do it via SF.  Maybe MirrorBrain.
 Maybe a mix,

> On the other side, release time is approaching and I can only hope that
> talks between Peter Poeml (MirrorBrain author) and Apache Infra, that had
> started on this list, are progressing now.

I think it is too late for any of those talks to influence how we deal
with AOO 3.4 initial downloads.  But maybe the update downloads in a
couple of weeks.

-Rob