incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [user guides] Use of AOO logo on cover of ODFAuthors user guide?
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:27:04 GMT
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can ODFAuthors use the AOO logo on the cover of the user guides we are
> producing to AOO?

The relevant ASF policy is here:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#booktitle

Note the preferred attribution.

> Related question: with the license for these books being CC-BY, not
> Apache-2, I have never been clear just what relationships these books
> will have to AOO. I realise that they will not be considered part of
> the official AOO product offering, but beyond that I'm not sure... are
> they "community produced documentation" or "third party documentation"
> or what? I know this has been talked about, but if there's been a
> definitive statement I've apparently missed it.

I don't think it is an either/or thing.  ODFAuthors is both 3rd party
as well as community-produced.  It is certainly 3rd party:  It is not
under the ALv2 license; it does not have source files in SVN;  it is
not being voted on the PMC for release; it is not being distributed
along with other officially released project modules.

> Personally, I don't care what status the project decides that these
> books can have; I just want to know what it is, so I don't
> inadvertently do something wrong.

Main thing is to avoid having the user be confused about the source of
the documentation.  It is from ODFAuthors, not AOO.  So when we host
the files on the wiki, we should make sure it is clear to the user
where to report errors,where they can go to volunteer, who they can
thank, etc.

-Rob