incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice Project Twitter Account
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:54:53 GMT
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@apache.org> wrote:
> I think this provide a bit of confussion on the user end. Also I
> recognize the struggle of keeping the accounts active. Making multiple
> accounts will increase the job.

I think the main consideration will be the number of PPMC members who
can post to the account. I'm proposing to have up to 10 PPMC members
have access to the Twitter account.  That should ease the challenge of
keeping the account active.

> The blog itself has not been updated that frequently, and I am not
> sure if this will increase as we get a release.

Surely writing a tweet is easier and requires less effort than writing
a blog post.

> Most of the use of the accounts on my experience is support-like
> issues. So relying on one single point of contact is also pretty bad.

That's why I propose to have up to 10 PPMC members on the account.
Also, I think users will understand that technical support cannot be
done in 140 characters or less. I'd expect we refer users to the
support page in most cases.

> Having an AOO-Support and AOO-Annoucement is equally not good strategy
> in my account because people will tend to stick to the account that
> they see crossing their path. (Just because we structure one way,
> doesnt mean users will do so).

I don't think anyone is proposing two official AOO Twitter accounts.
We're talking about one.  (Unless I missed something).

> One of the issues of openofficeorg accounts both on Facebook Google
> plus and twitter had been the issue of keeping the content fresh and
> also interacting as a group as opposed to an individual.

I'm sure this will remain an issue for AOO and we'll learn and improve
at this over time.

> I would argue to stop taking liberties on creating new accounts and
> instead take liberties on designing a good strategy to solve some of
> these basic issues that tackle these problems.

I think that is what we're discussing right now.

> So far I am not even sure how these accounts could be handle by
> infrastructure and what are the requirements. Rob mention that
> infrastructure should manage these, but I am also not sure how long
> will they take to proxy the messages specially when it comes to
> support and we get 100 inquiries a day (for example).

I've connected the ApacheOO Twitter account to BirdHerd, which allows
us to enable up to 10 PPMC members to interact with the single Twitter
account.

http://birdherd.com/

So I think we have a reasonable solution for that.

-Rob