incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 200x67pxRe: [WWW] New AOO logo source files now available in the Wiki...
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2012 12:18:14 GMT
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Michael Acevedo <vea1083@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Being a Photoshop Amateur I would not know how to make the seagull orb a
> vector graphic. Were you able to use the .svg file that I sent earlier?

Hi Michael,   That odg file looked like it still had the orb as a
bitmap, inside the SVG.  That is understandable, since that is what
you started with for that element of the logo.

A bitmap (or raster) imagine is a file that stores the individual
pixels.  It looks fine at its original resolution but looks worse when
enlarged or reduced. When changing sizes the software can only guess
at how to scale it and you end up with things like "jaggies" and
anti-aliasing effects.

A vector image stores the mathematical curves and lines of the image,
in a descriptive way.  So the circle of the orb, the arcs of the gull
wings, the  definition of the gradient,are stored in scale-neutral
descriptive terms.  So when the vector image is "rendered" it can be
rendered at any resolution and will look good.

So, I think what we want to do is use your image as the prototype of
the winning concept for the logo and then reverse-engineer a vector
form of it.  Kevin has offered to help here.  Then we can archive the
vector form for whenever we need to generate a different size version
in the future.

-Rob