incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LGPL vs Apache 2.0 FAQ?
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2012 12:42:17 GMT
On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Gianluca Turconi
<gt@letturefantastiche.com> wrote:
> In data 05 aprile 2012 alle ore 14:58:01, Joost Andrae <Joost.Andrae@gmx.de>
> ha scritto:
>

>> I'm not sure if an average user is able to read legal language thus in my
>> opinion such a legal comparison might not be useful at all because it
>> probably needs to be written in legal language.
>

> Indeed, I mean something much simpler. Just a page that lists questions
> like:
>
> "Can I still use Apache OpenOffice for free in any environment (school,
> home, office)? Yes you can."
> "Can I still copy Apache OpenOffice and install it on my
> daughter's/parents'/colleagues' PCs? Yes you can."
> "Can I still distribute a copy of Apache OpenOffice? Yes you can and you are
> even freer. Read more [link]."
>
> It should be a "FAQ for the average Joe", absolutely no legalese involved,
> unless a distributer wants more info about brands, names and so on.

Here is the issue.  Apache releases are covered by the Apache license.
 And that license is written in legal terms.  It means exactly what it
says. Nothing more.  Nothing less.  Any attempt to simplify it, or
restate it in plain English (or other language) without the legalese
will be less precise.

So I would avoid having this project attempt to summarize the license,
and instead point users to this license FAQ.  It covers some of the
same points:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#WhatDoesItMEAN

-Rob