incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WWW] two questions about DL button on home page...
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 17:03:20 GMT
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de>
>> wrote:

>> the

>> but

>> is

>> feature.

>> > Of course we can remove the toggle feature for the green box. Lets see
>> what
>> > others say.
>> >
>> > I've just re-enabled it because the effort was really minimal.
>> >

>> What are the arguments for and against?
>>

> For:
> I think the argument FOR the inclusion of the expanding DL button on the
> home page was the idea of having the DL available "right there" for them.
> Still, unlike other sites which would automatically display the appropriate
> DL immediately, the user must click on the DL area of the page to "get" the
> green DL button, so I question the former reasoning.
>

>From the homepage, it is the same number of mouse clicks to download
either way, right?    We don't save any clicks by dynamically
expanding the DL button on the home page.

> On the "against" side.
> * We bring in a bunch of additional JS to the home page which we wouldn't
> need if the "I want to download..." simply went to download/index.html.
> * None of the other links on the home page work like this -- they all take
> you someplace else
> * In theory, editing changes to make download/index.html work should should
> port to the DL button on the home page, but for some reason, I, personally
> have had issues with this in the past, I don't remember why
> * You can not, based on how the button is currently constructed on the home
> page, just  pop-in something to make this happen -- some of the JS needed
> must live on the home page to make things work. Well maybe you can and I
> just don't know how to do this.
> * Changes made to the current DL logic (and really this whole process in
> terms of coding REALLY needs further evaluation)  like function names and
> arguments to them, etc. need to be ported to two areas rather than one.

IMHO, if we have a a dedicated download page we can improve it over
time.  Having more screen real-estate would allow us to make install
instructions more prominent and give other helpful information.
Eventually the thing on the home page will be comparatively less
helpful.

> My .02
>
> At this stage of this project's existence, I think we need to concentrate
> on minimizing complexity.

My life lesson:  Only start a garden as large as you are able care for.

-Rob