incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ditching our mirror system for an inferior solution?
Date Sun, 15 Apr 2012 23:22:55 GMT
On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Peter Pöml <peter@poeml.de> wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> Am 13.04.2012 um 20:47 schrieb Joe Schaefer:
>> Not what I need atm drew.  I'm looking
>> for the names/addresses of people associated
>> with this PPMC who manage the network-
>> ie the local analog of Henk.  Peter is
>> one guy, are there any others?
>
> No others.
>
> Of course, there is Marcus Lange, maintaining the download logic on the website, and
helping out with MirrorBrain maintenance recently;

> then there was Takamichi Akiyama (no idea if he's still active) - he maintained the website
that listed the mirrors;
> (http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/mirrors/)
>
> there have been Stefan Taxhet, Frank Mau, Joost Andrae, who maintained the release process
- no longer here; Florian Effenberger, community manager - no longer here.

> The MirrorBrain setup was built & maintained by me; I'm also the author of that software.

Have you ever thought of getting others involved in maintaining the
software?   For example, it could be an Apache project, to maintain
and further develop the software?

I think increasing the base of people who can support MirrorBrain is
critical if we are to rely on it.  This would be true of any critical
piece of project software, web servers, version control, wiki, bug
trackers, etc.  We want to use quality software, but we also need to
avoid single points of failure.  A system that is reliant on a single
person's effort, no matter how technically elegant it may be, is
risky.