incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Legal question about (re)licensing
Date Sun, 29 Apr 2012 16:08:06 GMT
On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> To be precise, the practice is for new contributions to be dual licensed as LGPL and
MPL by the contributor.  It remains the case that the main code body is under LGPL3 with
the usual variations for third-party material incorporated in the release.

But the "practice" is not backed by a CLA or a code audit.  So what
exactly LO has is "license soup" as far as I am concerned.  I can't
touch it, though corporations that have no proprietary software
business may be unconcerned about such hygiene issues.  But I'd note
that such an approach will limit the project's success, since large
corporations, even if just using open source software, have their own
risk calculus to consider.   So the work we do on code pedigree audits
benefits not just the big bad software vendors. But it also benefits
users.

-Rob

>  - Dennis
>
> PS: Personally, I don't see any advantage to the MPL provision, since LGPL is not convertible
to MPL.  I think there is or was some TDF misunderstanding about the possibility of "relicensing."
 As far as I know, only the owner of copyright has a choice about licensing.  E.g., Oracle
licensed the OpenOffice.org code base that was under its copyright to Apache in a different
way than it had licensed to others.  That's separate from the general but narrow availability
of that code under the LGPL from both Sun and Oracle.
>    The license that code arrives into someone's hands under is the license that must
be honored, even for public-domain works (which require no license and will remain public-domain
forever). If a work is specifically multi-licensed, one can choose which one(s) to honor.