incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ditching our mirror system for an inferior solution? (was: Re: About Testing the SourceForce Mirror of AOO 3.4)
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 23:59:59 GMT
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Peter Pöml <Peter@poeml.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 03.04.2012 um 18:17 schrieb Roberto Galoppini:
>> We at SourceForge have worked the last ten days to line-up dedicated
>> infrastructure (including CDN services) to support the upcoming AOO
>> download serving test.
>
> I can hardly believe reading this! What's going on? We have an existing (and well working)
mirror network, that handles any required load just fine. It's proven and time-tested. It
has survived all releases with ease. By all calculation, and by practical experience, the
combined upload capacity of the mirrors is sufficient to satisfy the peak download demand
as well as the sustained demand. By the way, the "peak download demand" doesn't really differ
a lot from the day-to-day download demand, contrary to public belief. The mirrors are numerous
and spread around the world, and the chance of a client being sent to a close and fast mirror
is good - better than with a handful of mirrors as is the case with the Sourceforge mirror
network. Sourceforge specializes in something different - providing a myriad of small files
by a set of specialized mirrors. "Normal", plain simple mirrors can't take part in this network
as far as I can tell. Even though the network was considerably extended a few years ago, from
10 (under 10?) to >20 mirrors, this is still a small number of mirrors. (Even though these
are power-mirrors, but those are part of our existing mirror network just as well.)

Hi Peter,

I don't think anyone is proposing to toss out MirrorBrain.  The
most-recent conversations have been about how we can make our download
page farm out to all three: Apache, MirrorBrain and SourceForge.  The
idea would be that we would have sufficient capacity even with the
failure of any one network.

Another consideration is this:  We know that the administrative site
of the Apache mirror network is reliably staffed.  I believe that
SourceForge is reliably staffed.  But what about our MirrorBrain
usage?  How many people on the AOO project know all the details about
publishing to the network?  If we had to do a release -- say a
security patch -- and you were on vacation, do we have the ability to
do it?

Regards,

-Rob