incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Feeling my oats this morning
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 14:29:32 GMT
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

> People love fanning flames...
>

> http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/opinion/apache-openoffice-who-knows-where-the-time-goes/

Cool, I just saw the movie "Quantum Apocalypse" last night.  Not a black
hole colliding with the Earth, but a "cloud of quarks" with similar
effect.   The movie was almost as poorly researched as that article you
link to.

First, the phrase "components that were either replaced or removed" is a
rhetorical device that probably has a fancy Greek name, but it is mixing
things with user impact with things that have no user impact.  You see this
device used by some advocacy groups to increase the impact of their
statements, like "Last year government statistics report that over
5,000,000 children were either murdered or had chickenpox".

Second, the author does not seem to understand the distinction between
category-b and category-x licenses and how they are treated at Apache.  For
example, Hunspell is category-b, so it is included in our binary packages.
It is not lost, as the author claims.

Third, several of the replacements we made are actually beneficial to the
user, giving better functionality or security.  For example, our solver
replacement (CoinMP) has been rated higher by researchers than the GPL
component that we are replacing.

As for who has the wind in their sails, etc.  We're more of a battleship
than a sailboat.  We're slow to turn, but once we get steaming we make our
own wind.

Finally, I think this project is very happy to talk to reporters who might
have questions when preparing an article. It is not an imposition.  It is
part of what Apache PMC's do. It is an easy way to avoid sloppy errors.

-Rob