incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Has the AOO 3.4 RC been released?
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:08:15 GMT
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Christoph Jopp <jopp@gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 19.04.2012 08:19, schrieb Rob Weir:

Candidate.

ASF have

>>> Just to make one thing clear upfront: I didn't want to criticize the old
>>> or the new process of testing and releasing.
>>> As many people seemed to be confused about the naming, I tried to
>>> explain - and failed.
>>>
>>> I'll try again and maybe fail again.
>>> I think the confusion comes from the different process in the old project.
>>>
>>> The old process, as I see it (some other people might know better) was
>>> somewhat tiered:
>>> The source in the version control system was only touched by some core
>>> developers. From time to time a developer snapshot was made available
>>> for people not able or willing to build from source. But these
>>> dev-snapshots were largely used by people with high affinity to the
>>> project and/or technical understanding.
>>
>> In other words, mainly Sun employees.
>
> No, that cuts the long story too short.
> Concerning the vcs this might be true, but the dev-snapshots served a
> larger audience,
> Many extension authors f.e. used them to test their extensions and in
> reverse also the office.
>

>>> I think some mirrors did not distribute dev-snapshots.
>>>
>>> "Internal" QA was done perpetually.
>>>
>>> Then Beta-Releases and Release Candidates were announced and published
>>> to a bigger community including users with less or no "technical"
>>> understanding to test and report.
>>>

>> So, in my opinion, only one of these is really "QA".  If you are not
>> following a test plan and coordinating with others to maximize test
>> coverage and reduce overlap, then you are not really doing QA.  If you
>> are not specifically targeting the areas of the code that have been
>> changed, then it is not really QA.
>
> That might be a point of philosophy or just one of wording. You can name
> the one QA and the other bug hunting.

I think these are important distinctions.  Suppose a child is lost in
the woods and you want to find her.  The police will use a methodical,
coordinated approach, breaking the area into a grid and doing a search
and rescue operation that aims for maximal coverage with defined
levels of overlap.    They always know what % of the search area they
have covered and can estimate when the search will be complete.  If
more volunteers become available they can deploy the new resources in
an optimal way.

Compare that to a random set volunteers, with good intentions, but
without coordination or a methodology?

That is the difference between a disciplined QA effort and random "bug
hunting".  Bug hunters may get lucky.  Quality engineers do not rely
on luck.

>> It is the difference between what an editor does when editing a book
>> versus what a reader does when reading a book.  You can't replace an
>> editor with a large number of casual readers. And you can't replace QA
>> with a large number of casual users of a build.
>
> No, of course not. But it's not XOR.
> And there are for sure many publications out there, that would be better
> if they were skimmed through by more people - in addition to an editor.

And maybe even better if they had better editors? ;-)

In any case, I think this is very important for the project.  It is
clear, from other related projects, that doing just bug hunting
without disciplined QA leads to poor quality outcomes, with low user
satisfaction.  So I think it is very important that we scale up a
formal QA effort for AOO 4.0.

-Rob