incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fake OOo download website that loads malware
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:11:26 GMT
On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 4:33 PM, floris v <florisv59@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, in the old oooforum.org forum this topic was posted:
> http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=485494#485494
>
> It appears that if you download and install OOo from
> http://www.office-suite-download.com/ you also get the funmoods toolbar and
> a lot of trouble. Can you take action against it? Thank you.

I found more information from the user on this one.  He found it when
searching Bing for Open Office.  If you try that you will see several
fake sites, as paid advertisements.  One site even claims to be the
"official Open Office download" (http://www.open-office-download.net/)
though their "premium installer" (showing a large OpenOffice.org logo)
installs a bunch of other apps that inject themselves into your
browser, etc.

The business model is simple.  They are paid per install to bundle
these other apps, and they advertize their adulterated version of
OpenOffice via email spam, social network spam, domain squatting and
search engine advertisements.

In general taking down the actual sites is difficult.  Some of these,
for example, are off-shore.  So our best bet is to go after the
weakest link, namely Bing.  The search engines like Bing and Google
generally have a policy against using 3rd party trademarks in ad text.
 Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc., have similar policies that could be
used.  So instead of trying to shut down the site, you simply prevent
the sites from using the major search engines and social network sites
to confuse users.

However, to raise a complaint against these ads via Bing would require
that we actually have the registered trademark in Apache's name,
something we do not have now.  But if we did we could take care of all
of these sites in an afternoon.

-Rob