incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Has the AOO 3.4 RC been released?
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:32:35 GMT
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Andre Fischer <af@a-w-f.de> wrote:
> On 19.04.2012 17:08, Rob Weir wrote:

in the

set is designated

build different

Release

I vote for

>>> No, that cuts the long story too short.
>>> Concerning the vcs this might be true, but the dev-snapshots served a
>>> larger audience,
>>> Many extension authors f.e. used them to test their extensions and in
>>> reverse also the office.

>>> That might be a point of philosophy or just one of wording. You can name
>>> the one QA and the other bug hunting.
>>>

>> I think these are important distinctions.  Suppose a child is lost in
>> the woods and you want to find her.  The police will use a methodical,
>> coordinated approach, breaking the area into a grid and doing a search
>> and rescue operation that aims for maximal coverage with defined
>> levels of overlap.    They always know what % of the search area they
>> have covered and can estimate when the search will be complete.  If
>> more volunteers become available they can deploy the new resources in
>> an optimal way.
>>
>> Compare that to a random set volunteers, with good intentions, but
>> without coordination or a methodology?
>>
>> That is the difference between a disciplined QA effort and random "bug
>> hunting".  Bug hunters may get lucky.  Quality engineers do not rely
>> on luck.
>

> But it could also be viewed as application of the Monte Carlo method that,
> among other things, is not so prone to systematic errors.

If bug hunters were truly random, then that might work.  Not very
efficient, but at least it would eventually give you complete
coverage.  But if done casually you end up with most people testing
the same basic functions over and over again, without getting much
depth.  So it is not random.

Even a little coordination and structure can improve this.  For
example, if we had a wiki page where we listed all functional areas,
or features or menu items, or even a matrix of platforms and asked
"bug hunters" to indicate which areas they have explored.  If we did
that at least we'd know what areas were under-tested and could avoid
over-testing the same basic areas.

Maybe even have a test mode in the product that tracks what areas are
exercised?   Not code coverage at the fine grained level, but
something at a higher feature level.

> I think that both approaches have their advantages and that both should be
> used.
>
> -Andre

>>> No, of course not. But it's not XOR.
>>> And there are for sure many publications out there, that would be better
>>> if they were skimmed through by more people - in addition to an editor.
>>>

>> And maybe even better if they had better editors? ;-)
>>
>> In any case, I think this is very important for the project.  It is
>> clear, from other related projects, that doing just bug hunting
>> without disciplined QA leads to poor quality outcomes, with low user
>> satisfaction.  So I think it is very important that we scale up a
>> formal QA effort for AOO 4.0.
>>
>> -Rob

is now available