incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: logo source files
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 18:19:33 GMT
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 4:00 AM, J├╝rgen Schmidt
> > <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>wrote:

> >> I would like to suggest that we should create a new place for this kind
> of
> >> stuff besides trunk
> >>

> > +1.  Getting it into SVN makes it easy to get to from the build and the
> > website.
>
> The logo is used in the build and is part of the release. We have the
> difficult question here about distributing logos that are trademarks. They
> are included in our convenience binaries and installers and distributions
> go out, etc. A corporation might make internal changes and re-roll the
> package, these may be slight or be drastic.

The logo files may be included in a the release, but Clause 6 of the ALv2
gives only limited use of those trademarks,  So if someone did take the
code and make significant changes to it, they do not necessarily have the
rights to still use the logos.   They certainly have the rights to change
the logo to one of their own.

> At what point does the name and logo have to change? How do we make it
> easy for the downstream provider to fulfill any requirement like this?

I think that is the key question -- how do we make it easy to rebrand?

With Symphony, for example, we made this very easy.  Not need to rebuild at
all. We did it with a plugin, so making a RobOffice or DaveOffice would be
within reach of anyone:

http://www-03.ibm.com/software/lotus/symphony/plugin.nsf/web_DisplayPlugin?openform&unid=22E742258B098B2A852577C30027A24D&category=Miscellaneous&form=home

> For AOO 4.0 do we need a build switch that will replace all AOO graphics
> with "AOO inside" / user provided graphics?

Build option or something easier if possible.

> Should there be an ODF conformance test?

Whatever the rules are they must be easy to explain and easy to implement.