incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ooo-site]
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:44:37 GMT
On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 03:47 +0200, Raphael Bircher wrote:

with Marcus to solve this trouble.

>> > And the end result is that the page still says nothing about Apache,
>> > incubation or how to get involved with the project?
>> >
>> > I dunno about you, but I think we still have a problem.
>> The Feed is from the http://www.oooforum.dk/ so it's not maintained by
>> OOo. I think we have no danish people here atm who can make a update. I
>> propose to delete this feed on the dk site to avoid confusion. The
>> update from the site is a different storry. but this problem exist on
>> the moast NLC pages
>>
> Hi Raphael
>
> Well, I wouldn't necessarily go along with that idea.
> I'd say http://www.oooforum.dk/ is every bit as valid a community
> resource as the user services forums every were or are.

I'd go with something in the middle.  ooforum.dk is a resource.  So we
should have a link to it.  But it should not have its contents
imported wholesale into a top, central position of the webpage, as if
it were the voice of the AOO project.  Its current prominence gives it
the appearance of official notifications from the project, which they
are not.  That, combined with the total lack of actual project project
notifications, would confuse users.

> They are acting at that forum in all material respects the same as the
> user services forums, the only difference being a somewhat more
> prominent LibO image (not an official one btw).

I have no problem with the work they are doing on their own forums.
The issue is with the user-facing Danish page at openoffice.org.  That
page does not seem to be maintained at all, which is the concern that
Raphael and I are pointing out.

> So, does the sub-domain need upkeep - I guess, but I can see no reason
> to remove the feed from that forum.

If no one steps forward to maintain that page (and the Norwegian one)
I'll find translators to translate the generic page into those
languages, so we have the basics at least covered for users.

-Rob