incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice Project Twitter Account
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:19:13 GMT
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@apache.org> wrote:
> On 4/17/12, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 11:15 -0500, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>>> My point is that we are going to be bombarded with support questions,
>>> regardless if we choose not to, is not up to us.
>>>
>>> Sure you can redirect them to the ML/Forums, but that would be done
>>> 99% of the time, which will frustrate the user and the handlers.
>>>
>>> That's the point I wanted to make based on the experience of handling
>>> these accounts in the past.
>>>
>>> Like I said, I am more concern with solving the issue of operation
>>> first than figuring out which new accounts to create and why/why not.
>>
>> Well, I am not advocating removal of any existing accounts.
>
> I am sure you didn't. That is not what I said.
>

>> What I am advocating is the creation of a set un-ambiguous official
>> Apache OpenOffice project accounts.
>
> what will happened when the unambigous official account get support
> inquiries everyday?

Including, quite possibly, requests in various languages?

>> I believe that there is work needing to be done to establish the Apache
>> OpenOffice identity.
>>
>> It seems to me that this is an appropriate step to further that goal.
>
> Sure I agree, but my point is really about how to do it based on
> previous issues.

So what would you recommend?  How would you propose that we handle
support requests that come in via Twitter?

1) Ignore them?

2) Refer them to support.openoffice.org

3) Answer simple questions where the answer is unambiguous and clear
and refer others to support.openoffice.org?

4) Something else?

I don't think we want to encourage support via Twitter -- the medium
is not really suitable for it.  But we'll inevitably get questions.
These won't be just technical support.  They will be project related
as well.  I think part of our role (those who volunteer to help with
the Twitter account) will be to route users to the sources of
information that will best give them the answers they seek.  In some
cases this might mean we recommend they send a post to ooo-dev or
ooo-users.

Personally I don't think this is a bad thing.  It is engagement with
the users.  A little scary.  Certainly a bit more work.  But social
engagement is something that can be done well, and when done well can
reap many benefits for the project.  Of course, it can be done poorly
and have zero or negative effects.  I think this is the same with
anything we do. The real question is this:  Do we have volunteers who
are willing to help do this well?

-Rob

>> //drew

Google+, etc.,