incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice Project Twitter Account
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:56:27 GMT
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@apache.org> wrote:
> On 4/19/12, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Seems @openofficeorg has 1500 followers already. Unless there is another
>>> twitter account with more followers, I can't see much logic in not simply
>>> building around this account. Just need some strategic tweets so we can
>>> get
>>> followers to retweet and get more followers. If Alexandro is willing to
>>> maintain this as a PPMC member, what is the problem?
>>>

>> I have asked Alexandro many times over several months whether he would
>> put that Twitter account under the control of the AOO PPMC, rather
>> than treat it as his personal account.  He has not agreed to do
>> this,so I've made a new account which I am putting under PPMC control.
>>  We've had this discussion, in open, on this list.
>
> I dont remember having this discussion with you. So what are you talking about?

In this thread, on this list and several times.

For example, 8 days ago I wrote:

"Hi Alexandro -- Is the above your Twitter account?  If so, would you
be willing to contribute it to the AOO project, so we can rebrand it
and allow other PMC members to have write access to it, etc.?"

You didn't seem to understand that, perhaps due to my poor
description.  So I described in more detail what I was looking for:

"By "contribute to the AOO project" I mean give control to the AOO PMC,
so we can use it as a project-wide account, similar to how we treat
the blog:

-- Any PPMC member, upon request, can have write access.

-- We can use the project's official logo in conjunction with the account.

-- We would promote the account on our project's website.

-- We would generally treat the account as an official voice of the
project, not as a personal account."

Again, no response.  Instead of giving a straightforward yes or no
answer, you changed the subject to debating support questions via
Twitter.

Is the question I'm asking clear?

>> I've done the work.  I've done the research.  I've worked this through
>> the community.  I've created the account.  I've applied the Apache
>> branding.  I've signed up other PPMC members to have access to this
>> account.  I've updated the website.
>
> Then what you mean with 'I never recieved a reply'. Rob you are acting
> on your own, and that is really not good for the community not your
> reputation of power grabber.  Is very skewed the way you reffer
> yourself as 'we', when is only you acting on your own behalf.

I'm not acting on my own at all.  I'm creating an account for use by
any PPMC member who want to volunteer to help with this Twitter
account.  I'm discussing how we use Twitter and Google+ as a project,
and I'm doing this openly on the public list.   This is a topic I've
raised repeatedly on ooo-dev and ooo-private for several months.  Now
that we are nearing release time for 3.4 it is time for moving forward
with these proposals.

"Acting on your own" sounds more like PPMC members who sit on such
accounts, treat them as personal accounts, and never offer them to the
PPMC, and never worked with the PPMC to make the best use of them.

>> This is not about how many people follow the account.  The question is
>> purely about which account can be under PPMC control and thus be the
>> official account.
>
> What you mean with PPMC control, I am a PPMC and I control the
> account. So what exactly is the issue here? Do you want to have
> control of the account? If so please say so and not act as a 'we' when
> is an 'I'.

Having it controlled by a single PPMC member is not the same as "under
PPMC control".  That is not what I am aiming for at all.