incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WWW] Australian OO site
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2012 12:36:28 GMT
On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Ian <ian@amham.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I found this http://www.openoffice.org.au/ is it part of the Apache World
> .. or should it be? I can't see how recent it is, but it should probably be
> brought into line with the current world?

It is not hosted at a domain that we control. But the domain name
"openoffice.org.au" would probably suggest to the visitor that it is
affiliated with the project.

But it also has a disclaimer at the bottom of the page that says
"OpenOffice.org.au is an independent website assisting with the
promotion, marketing and distribution of the world renound
OpenOffice.org Office Productivity Suite." and also "OpenOffice.org is
a registered trademark".

It uses the project's trademarks, including name, and logos.  But it
links back to our site for downloads and community. The site owners
are also monetizing the page via advertising.

So the practical harm to our users is much less than those sites that
offer the users adulterated versions of OpenOffice.org downloads.  I
think this is something we can "normalize" once we define a standard
community logo that can be used more freely than our official project
logo.

-Rob