incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Draft blog post: Avoiding OpenOffice Download Scams
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:41:33 GMT
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 April 2012 19:10, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=draft_avoiding_openoffice_download_scams
>>
>> I know Louis and others have dealt with these things for longer.
>> Anything else I should mention?
>>
>> I considered adding a discussion of the importance of MD5 hashes,
>> etc., but that is not really the skill level of the end user who
>> downloads OpenOffice.
>>
>> I'm also cc'ing trademarks@ since it may be of interest to them and/or
>> they might have feedback.
>
> A few suggestions:
>
> The first paragraph should be quoted and / or in italic.
>
> s/the open source license/its open source license/ - there are several
> instances of this.

Yes.

> If the end-user is likely to find the concept of MD5 difficult, won't
> they also find it difficult to use the provided e-mail link?

It is a hyperlink so in most cases it will just launch their email.

> i.e. mailto:ooo-private-AT-incubator.apache-DOT-org
>
> Also, do such reports need to go to the private mailing list?

It is for the user's safety.  Otherwise I can be sure we'll get their
home phone numbers and credit card numbers posted to the public list.
Remember, we're talking about the very end users who have already been
scammed once.  So we already know that they are not the most careful
web users.

Of course, we don't need to collect their reports if we don't want to.
 But they send them already.  This particular one was sent to our
security list.

-Rob