incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WWW] Translating branding and navigation
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 01:49:08 GMT
On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> es, de, nl, fi, pt-br, ru, and ja are now setup for committers to make translations to
brand.mdtext and topnav.mdtext.

> I still have the question about Chinese / zh split regarding traditional / simplified
(Taiwan / Mainland)

> Next languages? cs, hu? Please respond for the next NL set.
>
> brand.mdtext
> ===========
> home:           home
> search:         search
> name:           Apache OpenOffice (incubating)
> tagline:        (incubating) | The Free and Open Productivity Suite
> logo:           AOO_logos/OOo_Website_v2_copy.png
> domain:         www.openoffice.org
> divid:          bannera
>
> topnav.mdtext
> ============
> divid:  topnava
>
> - [Product][m0]
> - [Download][m1]
> - [Support][m2]
> - [Extend][m3]
> - [Develop][m4]
> - [Focus Areas][m5]
> - [Native Language][m6]
>

> [m0]:     /product/index.html
      "Apache OpenOffice product description"
> [m1]:     /download/index.html
     "Download OpenOffice.org"
> [m2]:     /support/index.html
      "Find Support for OpenOffice.org"
> [m3]:     /extensions/index.html
     "Extensions and Templates for OpenOffice"
> [m4]:     http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html   "Get involved
in Apache OpenOffice (incubating)"
> [m5]:     /projects/accepted.html
    "Apache OpenOffice development focus areas"
> [m6]:     /projects/native-lang.html
   "Apache OpenOffice in your Native Language"

Dave, I speak English and I have no idea what you are talking about here.

We need to *radically simplify* how the web pages are translated.

No MDText.  No Apache CMS.  No command line.  No markup.  No angle brackets.

These are translators, not web designers.   Your instructions might
help programmers translate a website, but that will only help us with
a handful of the 100+ languages OpenOffice supports.

Would something like this work instead:

1) Have an ODF text document (or spreadhseet) that has a table listing
the strings in the standard webpage template, English in one column,
translations to go in another column.  Poor man's Pootle.

2) Translators fill out the translations and submit them as a patch.

3) Volunteers then cut & paste them into the actual mdtext files and
check them in.  Or it wold be simple enough to automate this using the
ODF Toolkit.

Make sense?  We need to get to the point where knowing Albanian is
sufficient to translate the Albanian page.  Requiring someone to know
Albanian, MDText and the Apache CMS is asking for a combination of
skills that may not readily be available.

-Rob

> Regards,
> Dave
>
> On Apr 7, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrea,

>>> Thanks for the detailed instructions, that should definitely be put on
>>> the wiki. I tried to apply them to the IT site:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1310806
>>> Everything seems OK, but I can't see the changes at
>>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/it/ or
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/it/
>>
>> I think that there was a hiccup with the CMS. Joe asked that you trigger your build
again.

>> I went ahead and added the files for French. I also made a change to a comment in
ooo-site/trunk/lib/view.pm. This is a trick that will cause the staging build to do a full
build causing all of the IT and FR sites to be changed to the new SSI.

>>> I did this, just replacing "fr" -> "it".

>>> Here I actually copied content/brand.mdtext to content/it/brand.mdtext
>>> (which is probably what you meant) and edited accordingly.

>>> Same as (2).

>>> I committed, the build was triggered and succeeded but I don't see the
>>> changes.
>>
>> The trick with lib/view.pm may be required.

>>> This would probably be helpful to all native-lang projects, since even those
not familiar with SVN could simply submit the translated version of their mdtext files.

>> Yes, but I want to wait until we do a couple and make sure all the proper details
are covered.

>> We may be adding a news.mdtext and index.mdtext for the main index page, but that
will be a separate thread of work.

>> And it is not a reason to wait. I'll look into doing it for many NLs this week.
>>
>> Here is a list of the next NLs to setup:
>>
>> es, de, nl, fi, pt-br, ru, ja
>>
>> This scheme only goes a single directory level deep. Is a single translation viable
for both zh_cn and zh_tw? If not then the two sites will need to be separated. I want to be
careful how that is done.