incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Pinterest
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2012 00:12:20 GMT
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Nancy K <nancythirteen@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> I attended an hour webinar highlighting the use of Pinterest for businesses - B2C, B2B
and also personal.  I learned that in less than a year, this social media format has surpassed
youtube, google+, linkedin - and is now number 3 in usage under facebook and twitter (not
sure which one of the latter is first).

Interesting.  I didn't know about the business use of Pinterest.   It
does seem popular.

> Terminology - PINS are images that you post on your BOARDS - like you would post picture
cards on an office bulletin board.  The thing is that pins can be linked to a landing page,
folks can 'REPIN' your pin (with its image and links) to their own Boards.  They can 'like',
'comment', REPIN.

So everything is an image?  No text posts?  No posting web pages?

> I can imagine ways that this could be used - for instance a separate BOARD for Writer,Draw,
etc.  Each board could have its own tutorial 'pin' with a link to the respective landing
page.  Their could be a board for the history, another for people behind the scenes, the
imagination can go on - the webinar suggested using up to 32 boards, but you can have more.
Each board displays 5 pins. Look at General Electrics site (pinterest.com/generalelectric)-
notice how the images on their boards entice people to look around and create a bold statement
(especially the first board). Another idea would be to reward those that contribute to openoffice
by placing a 'I helped too' kind of board, people could repin their award on their own boards
and their friends could see what they have been up to.

OK.  I see.  The image might just be the main image from a blog post,
or something like that.  But you can link that back to the full blog
post.   So the idea appears to draw the user in with the images.

If I search for "OpenOffice" it looks like there is already a bunch of
stuff there, which is cool:

http://pinterest.com/search/?q=openoffice

> Because this is increasing in popularity, and a great way to spread branding, I suggest
reserving the openoffice username even if no one plans to use Pinterest yet.  Starbucks (pinterest.com/starbucks)has
reserved their name, but does not use it yet.

OK.  I'll see what I can do.   It looks like it allows multiple
contributors to a single account, so that is good.

> I have just signed up to use pinterest, and have not added anything to my boards yet.
I do not know the way to get analytics yet, still reading about it, but the webinar mentioned
this is available, as well as tracking keywords that are working for the competitors. So far
it is by invitation from another pinterest user to set up an account.

> By the way, check out /microsoft - everyone is starting out, it seems.
> Nancy

OK.  Thanks for sharing this information, Nancy!

-Rob