incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2012 19:19:06 GMT
On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Jürgen Schmidt
<jogischmidt@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is a call for vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache
> OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating). This will be the first incubator release for
> Apache OpenOffice and a key milestone to continue the success of
> OpenOffice.org.
>

> This release candidate provides the following important key changes compared
> to former OpenOffice releases:
> (1) Code clean up to remove all copyleft components and external
> dependencies
> (2) Reworked or introduced LICENSE and NOTICE file to reflect and document
> the used licenses of the code itself as well as of external 3rd party
> libraries
> (3) MD5, SHA1, SHA512 hashes and GPG signatures for all of artifacts
>
> For a detailed feature overview please see the release notes under
> https://cwiki.apache.org/OOOUSERS/aoo-34-release-notes.html.
>
> The release candidate artifacts (source release, as well as binary releases
> for 16 languages) and further information how to verify and review Apache
> OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) can be found on the following wiki page:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+%28incubating%29+Release+Candidate
>

> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating).
>
> The vote starts now and will be open until:
>
>   UTC midnight Wednesday, 25 April: 2012-04-25 24:00 UTC.
>
> After the vote of the PPMC the vote will start on
> general@incubtor.apache.org mailing and will be open for further 72 hours.
> But we invite all people to vote (non binding) on this RC. We would like to
> provide a release that is supported by the majority of our project members.

I downloaded the Windows/English binaries and installed in three scenarios:

1) New Windows XP/SP3 system that never had OOo on it.

2) XP/SP3 system that had OOo 3.3.0 already installed on it

3) XP/SP3 system that had LO 3.5.1 already installed on it.

These scenarios all worked fine, installing cleanly.

I've also been running the dev packs in my daily work for over a month
now.  My experience is that it is very stable.

At the ODF Plugfest in Brussels last week I used AOO 3.4 in my interop
testing.   We did well.  We should be proud of what we've
accomplished.

+1 (PPMC)