incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Has the AOO 3.4 RC been released?
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:53:28 GMT
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> Michael, I am curious what has you be interested in the availability of an AOO 3.4 Release
Candidate.

>  1. What does it say to you when a project build set is designated a "Release Candidate"?
>
>  2. What use would you make of such a designated build different from a developer snapshot
and an actual release (i.e., AOO 3.4[.0])?

I wonder if there might be some language misunderstanding when we say
casually, "We'll soon be voting on a Release Candidate"?

To some this could mean we will have a vote to label a particular
build as a "Release Candidate".  That interpretation would explain
some of the post we've been seeing.  But that is not how it really
works.

What actually happens is two things:

1) The Release Manager (Juergen) declares that a particular build is
the Release Candidate.

2) The PMC then votes on whether or not to release the Release Candidate.

When we say "vote on a Release Candidate", some readers might think
that we're voting to make the Release Candidate.  But we're really
voting to release the Release Candidate.  Like when I vote for
candidate for US President, I'm not voting to make him a candidate.
I'm voting to make him President.

-Rob