incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: Pages in the social media
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2012 15:11:15 GMT
On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Alexandro Colorado <> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Rob Weir <> wrote:
>>> When OpenOffice 3.4 is released, it is very likely that the press releases
>>> will contain links to the "main" or "official" Apache OpenOffice channels;
>>> it wouldn't make sense to change them later and it is obvious that we can
>>> advertise only channels that are under control of several PPMC members.
>> But the official ones are already set up.  We've already had this
>> discussion.  The accounts are set up and they have already been shared
>> with the PPMC .  We already have several PPMC co-authors on them.
>> They are already linked to on the website.  Announcements have already
>> gone out to ooo-announce.  They are already in the AOO 3.4
>> announcement draft.  Content is going out on these channels, from the
>> PPMC, on a daily basis.  This is all already done, in preparation for
>> the AOO 3.4 launch.
> It would be good if you close those accounts and work with the ones
> that were already working. Like I said before doesnt make sense to
> duplicate efforts.

Like your Google+ page that has not had a post since last November?
What is your excuse there?   Google+ has integrated multi-author
support.  You don't need to spend months "investigating" alternative
tooling.  It is already there.

To me it looks like you are merely hoarding.  You signed up for that
account on the exact day that Google enabled business pages on
Google+.  But then you did nothing with it but sit on it.  You've made
zero effort to enable the PPMC to work with these accounts.   You
started zero threads on how best to use the account.  You've made zero
offers to share access with the PPMC.

As I said before, hoarding is a losing strategy at Apache.  Those who
share will see their DNA survive.

>> This isn't about personal control.  This is about sharing.  Those who
>> hoard will be passed by and left behind.  Those who work through the
>> process and openly share and enable others with see their initiatives
>> succeed.  It is that simple.  You cannot control by withholding.
>> If you (or any other PPMC member) would like to be added as a
>> co-author to the Twitter or Google+ account, please let me know and I
>> will add you immediately.  If you want to be an author on the Facebook
>> group, talk to Raphael.
>>> At that point, everybody, from the PPMC or not, will still be welcome to
>>> open a channel dedicated to OpenOffice (respecting the trademark policy),
>>> but these channels would be "secondary" or "unofficial".
>>> Regards,
>>>  Andrea.

View raw message