incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Unifying download logic, especially from NL pages?
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:22:58 GMT
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> It is the NL pages that I
>> am concerned about, since they have hard-coded logic that differs from
>> the above pages.
>

> The Italian one is probably the worst at the moment, since it has hard-coded
> links (to the Italian mirror; this is a relatively recent change to avoid
> depending on the changing mirror situation), hard-coded version numbers in
> the download page and even a hard-coded directory for the download page.
>
> While I see it changing (at the very least, the download link will be
> pointing to the SF/MirroBrain URL and not to a specific mirror), I'm not
> sure that the convenience of an API to generate links will always outweigh
> the added complexity: a link to the 'latest' version would have to be
> changed, for example, if a version-specific security patch is released, like
> it happened for 3.3.0.

I think the convenience will always outweigh.  Remember, we can never
reduce the real world complexity (essential complexity) any more than
it is in the real world.

All we can do are two things:

1) Put all of the real world complexity in one place so it can be
centrally managed, updated, debugged, etc.

2) Reduce the accidental complexity

Since the essential complexity can never exceed the total complexity,
centralizing this logic will always be a net improvement.

-Rob