incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 16:30:17 GMT
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Herbert Duerr <hdu@apache.org> wrote:
> On 24.04.2012 16:55, Risto Jääskeläinen wrote:
>>
>> See: Thread: Fix for bug 116639 almost
>

> I don't think that 116639 was the root cause. Looking at the problematic
> string in the screenshot you provided at
> http://www.saunalahti.fi/rjaaskel/Kuvat/Tulostaikkuna.jpg
> the reason was simply a strange translation of what is named "Comments",
> "Kommentare", "Comentarios", "Commenti", etc. in other languages.
>
> In the Finnish localization as of AOO340_rc1 it reads:
> "Kun tämä valinta on tehty, ohjelman lisäämät tyhjät sivut tulostetaan. Tämä
> on tarpeen, kun tulostetaan kaksipuoleisesti. Esimerkiksi kirjassa
> \"luku\"-kappaletyyli on määritelty alkavaksi aina parittomalta sivulta. Jos
> edellinen luku päättyy parittomalle sivulle, %PRODUCTNAME lisää parillisen
> tyhjän sivun. Tämä valinta ohjaa mainitun parillisen sivun tulostusta."
> which is defined in the "STR_PRINTOPTUI 18" line of
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/trunk/extras/l10n/source/fi/localize.sdf
> Getting such a long string into a poor little dialog is does of course cause
> some trouble.

> The other translations for the other STR_PRINTOPTUI lines in the finnish
> localize.sdf were also a bit long. Have they been fixed too?

> I'd like to extend that question by asking (e.g. the mentors) if it should
> be possible to split the voting in such situations, so that e.g. individual
> localization could vote for a different revision? Is a staggered release
> process allowed?
>
> Otherwise there would be a inherent scalability problem in the release
> process of such a huge multi-platform and multi-language application
> targeted at end users: if one problematic localization could reset the work
> of everyone else then this would be a recipe for a lot of frustration, as
> building, distributing, announcing and especially testing of a new revision
> is a huge effort and a lot of people are involved.

I think we can handle this efficiently.  But we would need to take
some precautions.  Start with making a branch of RC1 in SVN, if RC1 is
approved.  If we then want to update a single language or a single
platform, then we can make those changes in the branch.

I think we would still require a release vote for any additional files
we publish, such as updated translations, etc.  So the same 72-hour
voting process.

But I don't think it would require that the IPMC do an in-depth review
of the entire release, and it should not be necessary for us to do a
complete regression test.  I'd hope the IPMC would be satisfied to
look at the SVN logs and see that only translations had been changed,
and that would be enough to justify their approval.

-Rob