incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice Project Twitter Account
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:43:58 GMT
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 5:51 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 00:50 -0400, drew wrote:

 Only one

>> > Hi Drew,
>> >
>> > It has been 5 days now.  Have you received any response from that domain owner?
>>
>> No nothing.
>>

>> > If not, I'm ready to go with a new account:   https://twitter.com/#!/apacheoo
>>
>> a good account name for an announcement stream, even with the other IMO.
>
> Howdy all,
>
> Wanted to follow up on this.
>
> As I think about, IMO, this is a good moment to use a new account(s) for
> a more formal, account of record if you will, for the project; Apache
> OpenOffice. The use of the apache in the account name makes very good
> sense to me for this purpose.
>
> The flip side of that then would be to treat the existing social media
> account as more community, less formal, voices.

I'm not sure I understand your distinction between formal and
community.  Surely the AOO project and the PPMC comprise a community?

> Anyawy - the apacheoo does get my vote for an appropriate name, for the
> project account.
>
> I took the liberty then to register the same name with the identi.ca
> network.
> http://identi.ca/apacheoo
>
> IMO identi.ca, which has a smaller user base then twitter, represents an
> important target group to the project.
>
> The two accounts, if we use them for this, should be tied together.
> Certainly at the level that a post to the identi.ca should automatically
> broadcast to the twitter network. (easy to do)

So this can be automated?

> A couple of thoughts on 'formal account of record':
>
> Would recommend that the accounts not be used to follow lots of other
> accounts.

What exactly is your concern here?

> The accounts should not be used to re-tweet others messages.

Again, what is your concern here?  I think it is very natural for a
twitter account to retreat a post that refers to AOO in a positive or
interesting way.  That is how social networking works,   It seems to
want to turn this into a broadcast, 1-to-many medium.  What is the
argument for doing that?  Why take the social out of social
networking?

> The accounts should _not_ be used for auto-generated scheduled postings.

Again, what is your concern with this?  Scheduled posts have many good
reasons, especially time shifting.  You don't want to become
spam-like, but scheduling a post so it shows up at an optimal time for
an audience is considered to be a best practice by many,

> The accounts do need to be used on a regular basis to build up
> followers.

Yes.

> Ability to 'follow' the accounts needs to be easily done within the main
> web infrastructure and there should be some naturally well fitting
> locations where that can be done.

Should be easy.