incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice Project Twitter Account
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 06:12:07 GMT
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 2:07 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@apache.org> wrote:
> On 4/18/12, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Roberto Galoppini <rgaloppini@geek.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Hi Alexandro and all,
>>>
>>> Will @openofficeorg be under the Apache OpenOffice control? If this is the
>>> case, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to use that one instead of the new
>>> ones. In case I'd recommend to upload the new logo, as well as to update
>>> the short description.
>>>

>> We've tried to contact the owner of @openofficeorg, to discuss putting
>> this account under PPMC control.  We have no had success with that. So
>> we're going forward with a new account.  It should be easy and quick
>> to get a similar number of followers once we promote it on the
>> homepage.
>
> Who decided this? you?

Decided what? That it would be easy to get a similar number of
followers?  That is purely my estimate, based on the fact that we've
managed to get almost 8000 users to sign up on the ooo-announce list.
Following someone on Twitter should is much easier than signing up on
an ezmlm list.   So if we have 8000 there, getting  more than 1500
Twitter followers should not be hard.

>>> I had a look at the flow of questions and answers, it seems manageable to
>>> me.

>>> Here my list of recommendations:
>>>
>>> 1. Rebranding existing accounts (see above)
>>> 2. Spend some time to choose (few) people to follow (maybe using keywords
>>> like office suites, odf, open standards, etc).
>>>    As of today only Alexandro and Rob are followed by @openofficeorg,
>>> think we should spend some time to choose people to follow, so that it
>>> could be easier to engage in conversations using tools like googlefinder,
>>> Listorious, etc.
>>
>> That is an interesting point.  Many people decide who to follow based
>> on recommendation engines that look at existing following patterns in
>> Twitter.  So having a good set of mutual followers will help.
>>
>>> 3. Start simple. So announcements, news from our blog, new committers,
>>> etc.
>>> 4. Be consistent. Two message a day could be a good starting point, maybe
>>> once a day over the week-ends.
>>> 5. Don't follow back just for the sake of it, it's wise to follow only
>>> people we might want to engage with.
>>> 6. Start conversations with people we know, related projects, etc.
>>
>> For example, we might congratulate other OSS projects,Apache and
>> external, that make new releases, if these would be of interest to our
>> followers.
>>
>>> 7. Establish a clear policy about language style, but especially for how
>>> handle "crises"
>>> 8. Use a tool to measure our improvements, both Klout and PeerIndex may be
>>> useful in this respect.
>>>
>>> Roberto

Also I
Making

> [...]