incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: names of the project and the product
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 19:58:36 GMT
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Simon Brouwer <simon@brousant.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On the current front page of nl.openoffice.org, which I am starting to
> update, it is explained how OpenOffice.org is both the name of our project
> and our product.
>
> I am  not sure whether this is still accurate. In various places in the
> software, such as the general starting screen and the "about"-dialog, it
> appears to be presented quite prominently as Apache OpenOffice (or Apache
> Open Office?).

If you see "Apache Open Office" (with the extra space) then that is
incorrect.

If you want to know the background you can read the Apache product
guidelines here:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html

Essentially the project and the product are required to have a name like
"Apache Foo".  Most Apache projects use the same name for project and
product, though there are some deviations from that.  But the "Apache" part
of the name is mandatory.

Several months ago we had a debate on this list and a vote, on whether to
go with "Apache OpenOffice" or "Apache OpenOffice.org".  The name "Apache
OpenOffice" won.

However, transitioning the website(s) and the product UI to this new
branding will take time.  But even after we switch to the new branding, you
will still see references on the website to "OpenOffice.org", for example
when referring to older releases.  That is fine, I think.

-Rob