incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RC vs. Release ( was Re: [RELEASE]: showstopper Bug 119215 )
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 18:50:25 GMT
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
> Just wondering how the eelease process will be ...
>
> Will people have to vote twice ... one for the RC and
> again for the Release? Or is there a RC and then the
> vote so that it becomes the Release?
>
> I don't care about the RC so what will define when we
> really have a Release?

The way I understand it:  the Release Manager declares a Release
Candidate.  And then the PMC votes on whether or not to release the
Release Candidate.  In our case, as a Podling, the PMC is really the
IPMC.  So they have the binding votes.  But everyone would be
encouraged to vote, especially the PPMC members, but other
contributors, users, as well can vote.

If the vote on releasing the RC fails, then we go back and fix
whatever was wrong and repeat the process with a new RC.  If the vote
passes, then we probably take a few days to prepare the end-user
facing download page, prime the mirrors with the downloads, write up
an announcement post and coordinate on the timing of the actual public
release.  In other words, we don't want to make a big public
announcement the minute the release vote ends.  We'll need 24 hours at
the very least to get the mirrors loaded.

-Rob