incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Has the AOO 3.4 RC been released?
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 06:19:13 GMT
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:39 AM, Christoph Jopp <jopp@gmx.de> wrote:

> [...]
>> whether the release can actually occur.
>>
>> But this is not why we call it a "candidate".  Even once we graduate
>> to be a Top Level Project (TLP) and vote on our own release, we would
>> still call this stage a Release Candidate.
>>
>> I have no idea how the project did testing before, but the approach I
>> learned was to match the risk with the test effort. So after major
>> code changes you have a major test effort.  And when code changes are
>> minor, then you have less testing.  And when there are almost no
>> coding changes, like when simply updating the NOTICE.txt file, then
>> you have only the smallest test effort.  As we get closer to a release
>> we reduce the rate of change in the code, but also reduce the testing
>> effort.   So releasing code is like pulling a trigger on a rifle, slow
>> and smooth, not a sudden jerky motion.
>>
>> The major coding effort for AOO 3.4 was the removal/replacement of
>> copyleft components with compatibly licensed components.  That work
>> was completed last year. That was what needed most of the test effort,
>> and that testing was already done.  The product changes in recent
>> weeks have been very minor, generally around packaging the language
>> translations and dictionaries.  So it should be sufficient to
>> concentrate the scope of testing to what has changed.  That doesn't
>> mean that a volunteer is not permitted to go back and test code that
>> has not changed in 6 months.  But it would not be an optimal use of
>> their time.
>>
>>> So all that can be checked for bugs and regressions are the unofficial
>>> snapshots.
>>>

>> Volunteers are welcome to check any build or release candidate for any
>> bugs at any time and enter them into BZ.  There are no restrictions on
>> this.  However, to the extent we want to take an engineering-informed
>> approach to QA, and make optimal use of volunteer time, and use this
>> effort in a way that best improves product quality, then we want to be
>> testing much earlier in the project cycle.  That is why Lily sent
>> several notes to the list, months ago, asking for help testing AOO dev
>> snapshots.  I don't think anyone offered to help, despite these
>> several requests :-(
>
> Just to make one thing clear upfront: I didn't want to criticize the old
> or the new process of testing and releasing.
> As many people seemed to be confused about the naming, I tried to
> explain - and failed.
>
> I'll try again and maybe fail again.
> I think the confusion comes from the different process in the old project.
>
> The old process, as I see it (some other people might know better) was
> somewhat tiered:
> The source in the version control system was only touched by some core
> developers. From time to time a developer snapshot was made available
> for people not able or willing to build from source. But these
> dev-snapshots were largely used by people with high affinity to the

In other words, mainly Sun employees.

> I think some mirrors did not distribute dev-snapshots.
>
> "Internal" QA was done perpetually.
>
> Then Beta-Releases and Release Candidates were announced and published
> to a bigger community including users with less or no "technical"
> understanding to test and report.

So, in my opinion, only one of these is really "QA".  If you are not
following a test plan and coordinating with others to maximize test
coverage and reduce overlap, then you are not really doing QA.  If you
are not specifically targeting the areas of the code that have been
changed, then it is not really QA.

It is the difference between what an editor does when editing a book
versus what a reader does when reading a book.  You can't replace an
editor with a large number of casual readers. And you can't replace QA
with a large number of casual users of a build.

Of course,I would not discourage use of dev snapshots, and submitting
bug reports based on that.  But it does not replace a disciplined QA
effort. It sounds like that was mainly internal at Sun. We need to
reform that effort at Apache.   That is what Lily was trying to do,
but was pretty much ignored.

> And so I think some people are waiting for the announcement of a
> "Release Candidate" published through the mirror system for final
> testing through the greater community.
> And I just wanted to say that the procedure has changed and I think a
> Release Candidate in the above sense would not come.

That is correct.