incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is there any way to reach extension authors?
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:45:14 GMT
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2012-04-12, at 15:57 , Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On 4/12/12 4:23 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> How?  Is this something that SF can send out, if we draft the text?
>>> Also, is there any community mailing list or forum for extension
>>> authors?
>>
>> I guided all subscribers of the former api and extensions dev mailing list to our
ooo-dev list.

> I think it actually also makes sense to initiate a new effort to get extension writers.
We did this several years ago, but at the time, b/c of the typical politics of some big corporations,
we ran up against some obstacles, that I think won't exist now.

> What I would like to do, then, is to have a programme that could work with community
colleges such as Seneca, with which I have contacts and with which OOo had worked before,
and with universities Eric B. has worked with. As well, with the many smaller companies making
up the ecosystem.

> Do keep in mind that we realized many years ago that the best way to expand the developer
and contributor community of OOo was via the extensions. It was this idea that impelled me,
that compelled Juergen, that stimulated the early creators of the Extensions project.

Would it make sense to start with a new list, ooo-extension-authors or
similar, with the aim to:

1) Develop a community of extension authors, where they can share tips
and techniques with each other, as well as with the AOO programmers.

2) Provide a single place where the AOO PMC can give head's up warning
of API changes or additions, advertise the availability of new dev
snapshots, and in general try to coordinate a release cycle where AOO
releases are accompanied by simultaneous availability high quality 3rd
party extensions.

3) Provide a place for new extension authors to ask questions and get support

I think in most Apache projects, the "users" list would be where such
topics would be handled.  But our "users" are end users, not developer
users.  So we would want a different list for this.

(ooo-dev was another logical place for this, but I think the traffic
level would be a deterrent for someone who is only interested in
extensions)

-Rob

> louis
>>
>> Juergen
>>

>>> -Rob

may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and
any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s)
from your system. Thank you.