incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ooo-site]
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:21:00 GMT
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:05 AM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 07:44 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

and forth with Marcus to solve this trouble.

>> > Hi Raphael
>> >
>> > Well, I wouldn't necessarily go along with that idea.
>> > I'd say http://www.oooforum.dk/ is every bit as valid a community
>> > resource as the user services forums every were or are.
>> >

>> I'd go with something in the middle.  ooforum.dk is a resource.  So we
>> should have a link to it.  But it should not have its contents
>> imported wholesale into a top, central position of the webpage, as if
>> it were the voice of the AOO project.  Its current prominence gives it
>> the appearance of official notifications from the project, which they
>> are not.  That, combined with the total lack of actual project project
>> notifications, would confuse users.
>>
>> > They are acting at that forum in all material respects the same as the
>> > user services forums, the only difference being a somewhat more
>> > prominent LibO image (not an official one btw).
>> >

>> I have no problem with the work they are doing on their own forums.
>> The issue is with the user-facing Danish page at openoffice.org.  That
>> page does not seem to be maintained at all, which is the concern that
>> Raphael and I are pointing out.
>>
>> > So, does the sub-domain need upkeep - I guess, but I can see no reason
>> > to remove the feed from that forum.
>> >

>> If no one steps forward to maintain that page (and the Norwegian one)
>> I'll find translators to translate the generic page into those
>> languages, so we have the basics at least covered for users.
>
> And I will remove the pages from the website - if there is no community
> to back it up they should not be there. This is now a community project
> not a corporate project yes?

If there is a single person willing to maintain the Danish page, and
to maintain the Danish translation, then that is sufficient. The
community is the AOO community.  Having an accurate, current, user
facing page for a language does not require that we have a
sub-community with its own mailing list, forums, etc.  If we do, then
great.  But if not we can easily go forward with a basic page.
Remember, we have over 100 translation for OpenOffice.  And a single
translator helping to translate a basic page can help make a
translation available to 10,000's of users.

-Rob