incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Logo of AOO in SVG?
Date Sun, 29 Apr 2012 13:36:51 GMT
On 29 April 2012 10:21, Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon.oo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ian,
>
> Nice work.
>
> Let's post the artwork to the wiki.
>
> While in there, we should tidy up the branding/logo wiki pages:
>
> We should capture the 3.4 vector and raster images, as well as source
> files in one location, and send out an announcement to all stakeholders.
>
> We should archive previous design iterations, and finally, we should set
> up a 4.0 concept page.

Ok, sorry for the delay went out and just got back. I was thinking of a few
issues. First it looks like the SVG file I attached does font substitutions
in Chrome so it doesn't look right. Not exactly sure about this but
converting the text into paths and storing them as drawing objects seems
safest as then it should be independent of whatever fonts is on any
computer. This got me thinking about fonts so I checked the font for the
word Apache in Apache Software Foundation and in some other places and
although similar non-serif fonts they don't seem to be identical. Does
anyone know if there is a specific font policy for the Apache trademark
text? If there is a specific font it would be best to use this from the
outset - assuming I can find it :-)

I used Nimbus L Sans for the SVG logo. It's not identical but it is close.

I'm also looking at producing the same logo as a .odg. Unfortunately Draw
does not import the svg file very well (at least no in the LibreOffice
version LibreOffice 3.5.2.2 Build ID: 350m1(Build:202) I have that came
with Ubuntu 12.04 . Getting the text the same is not difficult but getting
the ball to be identical might be impossible because of getting the colour
gradients the same as Inkscape and Draw use different methods as far as I
can tell. It probably doesn't matter too much whether we use svg from
Inkscape or odg from draw but if we want consistency we need to make one of
them the definitive from which all jpgs and pngs should be derived. Since
svg is the W3C open standard, overall I favour its use, but since .odg is
the open document standard associated with our project, maybe we should
support it! (Shame we can't easily rewrite the draw engine to support svg
;-) ).

So I'll have a go at a Draw version and then we can decide which is the
best way to go unless there is a general preference for one or the other.

Regards,

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940